February 15, 2011

Baked Idli (Rice cake) Manchurian

IMG_6885

Me missing from the blogging scene is not even a surprise now! I love cooking and blogging, but other things take priority every now and then like it rightfully should, so this time I am not even going to the why and what of my absence. But I am happy to blog at the moment and I will relish this till I am done with this post.
Idli Manchurian is not something I ate a lot or was familiar with when I was back home. I probably have had it a couple of times, not because I did not like it but because it was way too greasy and unhealthy. It is made by frying the Idli pieces that were dipped in batter and then stir fried with vegetables and sauces. Sounds yummy right? I know!
For my version, I baked them (vs. frying) and tossed it with a bunch of crunchy vegetables and tomato sauce and called it a day! It tasted good and knowing that I am eating something good made me a very happy camper right there in my kitchen.

IMG_6878

Baked Idli (Rice cakes) Manchurian

Ingredients:

Steamed Idli (Rice cakes) - 6-8 cut into cubes
Carrot - 1 cup shredded
Green pepper - 1 cup shredded
Cabbage - 2 cups shredded
Ginger - 2 tsp chopped
Garlic - 3 tsp chopped
Mint leaves - 1 cup chopped
Curry leaves - About 6 leaves chopped
Spring Onion - 1 cup chopped lenghtwise
Salt - To taste
Soy sauce - 2 tbsp
Tomato ketchup/sauce - 2 tbsp
Corn flour - 1 cup (Chick pea flour/besan flour should also work)
Rice flour - 2 tbsp
Chilly powder - Depending on your heat level
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp (optional)
Black pepper -1/2 tsp
Oil - 2 tbsp + 2 tbsp

Veggies

Method:

Preheat oven to 400 F.

Mix the corn flour, rice flour, salt, 2 tbsp oil, chilly powder (about 1/2 tsp), turmeric powder with a little water to make into a paste.

Mix

Add the idli pieces and mix well. The batter should be just enough to coat the pieces.

Marinate

Spread it evenly on a greased baking sheet and bake until lightly brown and the coating of batter is baked. Check after 15 minutes of placing the tray in the oven.

Bake

Meanwhile in a large wok, add the oil, when hot add the curry leaves, ginger, garlic, pepper. Then add the veggies and stir fry with some salt. Add the mint and spring onions, soy sauce and tomato sauce at last. Now, add the baked idli pieces and mix well till it absorbs all the sauce and flavors from the veggies and herbs.
Serve hot.

IMG_6874

21 comments:

  1. Looks yumm.. I must try this next time I make idlis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After coating them in batter and then baking is a nice step I must do that next time. First click is very inviting. Enjoy blogging;

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pics make me droool ;) will try for sure..

    ReplyDelete
  4. baking is a good idea, the manchurian looks yumm.

    FOODELICIOUS

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum yum....miss the oven..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a very nice idea...looks very tempting

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make it sound so easy..missed ya around!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back.. I've never heard of or tasted idli manchuria.. It looks super delicious. Love the pics.. Very tempting. Have to try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad to see you back. I am not a big fan of idli and therefore these variations is something that I can eat without hesitation.
    BTW: Your pic looks bright, is it sunny in Seattle???

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to see you back...Baked manchurian? sounds like you can eat your pie and have it too..

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow..tempting picture dear...yummy idli

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is lovely. You mention 15 minutes. Is that how long you cooked it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. This one sounds a killer recipe with idlis!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks and sound so good! And I like that there are so many veggies in his recipe. Yum! :p

    ReplyDelete
  15. nice post, amazing am like it.

    Thanks for this


    http://cookingjeanie.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I ma here for the first time and you already have me drooling over this dish! Love it and surely plan to make this next time I prepare Idlis - Look forward to following you :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your recipes and the way you present them.
    I have tried your edamame fritters, almond yogurt cookies and just tried this manchurian. It is a good way of using leftover idlis. All your recipes are great tasting and healthy too. Perfect combination!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love all your recipes and the way you present them. I have tried your edamame fritters and yogurt almond cookies. They came out wonderful. I just tried this manchurian, it also came out good. Nice way of using leftover idlis.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I tried this and it came out good, I felt that since anyways the idlis go into all the sauces, they can be baked without the batter, lightly oiled till it comes out lightly browned. Just a suggestion. I love all your recipes, edamame fritters and yogurt almond cookies are amazing. Your pictures are creative too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very interesting Recipe... Will try for sure .. thnx for sharing :)
    Nupur

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks yummy. Need to try it soon.

    spicentadka.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this post. I will try to respond to queries as soon as I can. If I miss anything that needs to be addressed... please feel free to ping me again.
Happy cooking/baking or whatever it is you are doing in the kitchen! :)