November 3, 2008

Pumpkin Cheesecake Brownies

first

first 1

My second pumpkin dish in a row :) This is exactly the opposite of the Roasted Pie-Pumpkin spicy chutney I made a few days back. Time for something sweet, and something chocolate!
It just made me realize how versatile the pumpkin as a vegetable is, very few vegetables could boast of being that, tasting good in a dessert as well as a hot and savory dish.

Two thumbs up to Adam from whom I adapted this recipe... I made this the very same day he did the post. Well, it did take some time for me to post it, due to blah, blah, blah... but nevertheless here it is.
The only sad thing was I did not have any ice cream to go with it that day. Warm soft chewy brownies with cold vanilla ice cream melting on top. My taste buds just go bonkers over it.
But otherwise, it was great by itself.

Just a quick tip, whatever kind of brownies you are making, it is advisable to use a spatula to mix all the ingredients together. Using a hand mixer will incorporate air into the mix, and the brownie will end up like cake. Brownies are naturally dense, so keep them thick and soft.

I did make some small changes with the flour, cream cheese, butter, and sugar, so I have given the recipe below for the brownies you see in the picture.
If you like pumpkins and chocolate, this is your kind of dessert.

Pumpkin Cheesecake Brownies

Ingredients:

For the Pumpkin Cheesecake layer:

Fat free cream cheese - 8oz.
Pumpkin puree - 3/4 cup
Egg yolk- 1 (you will use up the white for the brownie part)
Sugar - 1/4 cup
Cinnamon powder- 1/2 tsp
Ginger powder - 1/2 tsp
Nutmeg powder- 1/8 tsp

For the Brownie Layer:

Whole wheat pastry flour - 1/2 cup
Unsalted butter - 2 oz.
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Espresso - 1 tsp
Semisweet chocolate chips - 4 oz + 4 oz
Eggs - 1 whole, and 1 egg white
Vanilla - 1 tsp
Baking powder - 1 1/2 tsp
Walnuts - 1/2 cup (chopped)

Method:

Preheat oven to 350F.

Grease a 8" square pan and set aside.

Take the softened cream cheese and sugar and cream together with the help of a hand blender. For about 4-5 minutes.
Add pumpkin puree and the egg yolk. Then the cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger powder goes in. The resulting mixture will be somewhat thin, you may want to check the consistency as you add the pumpkin puree. Stop when you think it gets too watery.
I used about 3/4 cup and the batter was still a little thin.
Refrigerate this mixture until you make the brownie layer. It does help to thicken slightly.

For the brownie, melt the butter and add 4oz. of chocolate chips to that and keep stirring. I did this in a microwave, checking at regular intervals. Chocolate burns faster in a microwave. Keep stirring till it is glossy and let it slightly cool.

batter

Now add the sugar, keep mixing. Then add eggs and vanilla and mix well with a rubber spatula.

In another bowl, sift together the whole wheat pastry flour, espresso and baking powder.

Toss the dry ingredients into the chocolate mixture, mix until all the dry ingredients are incorporated.
Add the walnuts and the rest of the chocolate chips (4oz.)and fold in.

Take the greased pan, pour in the brownie mix, then pour the pumpkin cheesecake mix on top.

bake

Bake for about 45 min. Check the middle with a toothpick. Bake until it comes out clean. Do not overbake.

last

last 1

This goes to:

Aparna's Blog anniversary
and
Art You Eat #5 - Autumn Edition

55 comments:

  1. Whoa am drooling over the brownie batter.Can you send me a piece please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks really nice Divya!!!! looks perfect & delicious... nice entry...

    ReplyDelete
  3. pumpkin for a cheesecake..excellent idea..looks really good!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! thats looking delicious and stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice idea.Looks yummy,colourful, inviting,mouthwatering.
    Ramkumar

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anudivya, u have been feasting on Pumpkin, me too love the taste of this vegetable.Wonderful recipe and thanks for sharing it in step by step.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi divya,it looks great and yummy...and tempting

    ReplyDelete
  8. these look fabulous! I don#t know a single recipe of yours which i don't drool over! Like i'm now!
    Well, you might get to hear my story of gluten free brownies I tried a last week soon. You know, whe I get time because of "bla blah blah"!! I found it a cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never used pumpkin in any dish other than sambar:) cheesecake looks tempting.. would love to have a piece.

    ReplyDelete
  10. the choco mix looka so moist....love brownies to be moist and choclaty

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both pumpkin recipes re totally different. Good one

    ReplyDelete
  12. aweomse. i am sitting here eating a slice of pumpkin cheesecake, which is amazing, but now i want these pumpkin cheesecake brownies to go with it. hahah.

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks soo nice .. someone's cooking up a lot of pumpkin these days

    ReplyDelete
  14. looks soo nice .. someone's cooking up a lot of pumpkin these days

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very Lovely,hats off to you to make something out of pumpkin.I think pumpkin is in love with u right now.The brownie batter is amazing and pass it over,I am drooling

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey,CONGRATS,YOU ARE WINNER OF COOKBOOK.YOU WON THE LEGUMEAFFAIR EVENT,CHECK OUT SRAS BLOG.
    LOVELY AND SHARE THE RECIPES ONLINE :P :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anu, how different this looks, a combination of all yummy things.

    & a HUGE CONGRATS for winning the LEGUME AFFAIRS!! YAAAAAAAAAAY for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love cheesecakes though i haven't had pumpkin flavored ones before.. looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wowwwwwwww Wat a great job Anu...delicious brownies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. what a delicious idea to make cheesecake with pumpkin. It looks so good Divya!

    ReplyDelete
  21. by frying i meant, shallow fry(after rubbing in rice flour mixture) in 2 tbsp of oil.. not deep fry :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. hey divya.....after a long time visiting again and here I find a cheesecake recipe......ippo thaan done with eating all diwali sweets and u give me a cheesecake ;) will sure try it out someday.....

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey I recognize those! Haha that's awesome :) I'm glad you liked the recipe so much, and they even look better than the ones I did. You're a natural, Anu :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks so gud Anu....wow...and the chutney is wonderful...enjoy the pumkins delight :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. These brownies look gr8...theres really so much possible with the pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Decadent...& absolutely! They're great Anu!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yummy..im drolling over. Pumpkins are the least liked veggies at home but this is so yummy Can i hv a piee pls.. loved ur pics..

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yummmmmmmmm yummmmm yummmmmy post!!
    lovely pics...i am drooling over the brownie! tempting ones

    ReplyDelete
  29. Cheesecake brownies? That's like 2 for the price of 1 - I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I never ver had the guts to us pumpkin ina dessert...looking at this,just tempts me take that risk :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow brownies look soo tempting......I am drooling over the pics...
    With regards to ur query of Muth dal flour...this flour is made of Muth Dal which is a form of a pulses...its somewhat like moong..

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi! Would you like this recipe to join Weekend Wokking featuring pumpkins? Please link back to Weekend Wokking if its okay :) or email me if you have questions. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  33. yummy! Anu....luvin it...sure it wud taste divine with vanilla icecreammmmmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  34. The something sweet and something chocolatey reeled me in at once :)

    Thank you for your lovely comments. You have no idea how much it means to me.

    ReplyDelete
  35. this looks tempting Anu. great going :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. That is just too perfect.......I envy you for eating this.

    ReplyDelete
  37. brownies look droolyfying and heavenly...

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oooo yummy ...what a wonderful combo...love it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  39. There is an award waiting for you at my blog,please check it out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Cheese cake brownies whoaa thats tempting and lovely looking too...

    ReplyDelete
  41. Yeah made it just an hr back:) was too lazy to pressure cook chick peas.. so made with just bread.

    ReplyDelete
  42. These look incredible. I love cheesecake brownies and I love cheesecake but I find it's often difficult to use only fat free cream cheese, but I imagine when its swirled with brownie it's much better. I must try it, I'm still on a pumpkin kick as well...

    ReplyDelete
  43. They r -in one word - perfect! I wanted to make pumpkin cheesecake a while back too...but then changed my mind and made the traditional pie instead..will b making the cheesecake soon :) this looks yum

    ReplyDelete
  44. thank u divya dear for ur comments.in guthi vankai i have used white one...

    ReplyDelete
  45. That sounds awesome and lloks cool too! Pumpkin week?,month? Haha...just kidding:)

    ReplyDelete
  46. You're right when you say this is my kind of dessert. It seems that pumpkin is the new chocolate for me:D

    ReplyDelete
  47. Wow, cheese cake and brownie in one bite, way to go Anu :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Thanks for your recent visit to my blog. I hope you come back often. Pumpkin and brownies...a great combination for fall. My family will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  49. what a lovely cheesecake Anu! I can imagine this would've been so great!:) btw, I hope you can make something for my Vegetarian Thanksgiving event! your recipes are simply fabulous girl!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  50. Thanks for the entry to Art You Eat! These brownies look and sound fabulous! I'll bet that was a wonderful combination.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Cheesecake and chocolate brownies in one. That's some dessert, Divya.
    I still haven't been able to bring myself to make anything sweet with pumpkin! :)
    Thanks for celebrating with me.

    ReplyDelete
  52. I love these! And there you go again with the whole wheat flour! I love that you are baking up such yummy stuff with it! (I love using whole wheat, just not a big baker)

    ReplyDelete
  53. Brownies are a weakness of mine and these are making me drool!

    Thanks for sending these into the BR round up

    ReplyDelete
  54. OOOO these look SO good! I never thought of pumpkin and brownie before, yum!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this post. I will try to respond to queries as soon as I can. If I miss anything that needs to be addressed... please feel free to ping me again.
Happy cooking/baking or whatever it is you are doing in the kitchen! :)