August 14, 2008

Polenta with oven-roasted vegetables



Polenta is made from boiled cornmeal, and is a staple food of Northern Italy.
I was a little apprehensive about making my own polenta and did'nt like the gooey texture that it takes on. You could either buy the polenta from the store and cook it, or buy the already cooked polenta like I did(I personally like the firmness of it.)
Trader Joe's has some good organic polenta which comes in a cylindrically shaped tube. Just cut them into one inch discs and you could either roast them on a pan with some oil, grill them, or oven-roast on a greased sheet.

Polenta with oven-roasted vegetables

Ingredients:

Cooked polenta - 1 log
Parsley - to sprinkle
Red onions - 1 large sliced
Baby corn - 1 cup
Edamame - 1 cup shelled
Snap peas - 1 cup
Carrots - 1 cup cut into long strips
Broccoli - 2 cups
Mushrooms - 2 cups
Ginger - 2 tbsp thinly sliced
Garlic - 2 cloved thinly sliced
Olive oil - 3 tbsp
Salt - To taste
Freshly ground black pepper - 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder - 1 tsp

Method:

Slice cooked polenta into one-inch discs, brush with olive oil on both sides and bake them in a pre-heated oven at 400F for about 20-30 min. Or just follow package instructions if that is simple.
Take it out and sprinkle salt, and dried parsley(Fresh herbs work better)

Mix olive oil, ginger and garlic along with salt, pepper and chilly powder and set aside.
Mix all the vegetables in a mixing bowl and toss in the seasoning mixture and mix well.
Spread onto a baking sheet in one layer and bake for about 20-30 min at 400F or till completely roasted. You may toss the veggies midway during roasting to allow even cooking.

Arrange the polenta& veggies in a plate; which I have served with store-bought falafel, as seen in picture. Serve hot.

3 comments:

  1. Hi This is my first visit to your blog,you have a good one going on here.I too experiment a lot with healthier foods and have pretty much cut out sugar even in my baking.Drop by my blog if you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! A healthy blog! And a girl after my own heart!

    so good to see your blog. I'm going to be a regular visitor here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this looks so good! I am huge fan of polenta in the last couple of years and with roasted vegetable, don't think you can get much better. Love your healthy take on things!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this post. I will try to respond to queries as soon as I can. If I miss anything that needs to be addressed... please feel free to ping me again.
Happy cooking/baking or whatever it is you are doing in the kitchen! :)